Friday, August 8, 2008

That's my kid...!!!


When I was a little girl I used to sit beside my grandpa powis on his piano bench listening to him play......my mother did the same as a child......something was magical about grandpa when he played.......his sausage like fingers moving quickly over the keys and his large bunion feet tapping the pedals... every so often he would stop to take a sip of his brandy that was sitting in front of him before belting out another song....he learned to play by ear so he never had music in front of him....I would always request " the sting " ..in fact he even taught me how to play a bit and my mother was convinced I was the next great pianist in the family...she went out and bought me an organ for Christmas one year and made me centre stage pushing me to perform for the family.....she always would say..." that's my kid" and be so proud.....unfortunately my interest was short lived......I guess I was a better listener than player..........my grandpa continued to play the piano even after moving into the nursing home..but when the altzheimer got the better of him...he would only play the same melody over and over again....his fingers still knew what to do but he didn't have the mind to remember....I miss hearing him play now that he has passed on and every once in a while would love to hear someone play...... could it be my daughter?.......everytime we run Justin to his guitar lessons...she has to stop in the piano room and hit some keys......maybe I will be saying the same as my mom one day....." that's my kid playing"......and be so proud!....thanks grandpa for the inspiration...your music still plays in my heart and mind.....miss you always...dunna nanna na na na na dunna nanna na na na na na!

No comments: