
The day had arrived.. ......the sun was shining.., the sky blue like a Winnipeg summer day...and the date was ... Saturday July 17th, 1993........my official wedding day. This day was in planning for some time and the fact that Brian and I had already bought our house and lived together for 7 years only made it that much more important. We wanted to start a family and moving forward with our commitment to each other. My 2 best friends flew in from Winnipeg for the big day. Kim and Careen were my bridesmaids... but not in that traditional descriptive way...they were my family...my support... for a girl who didn't have a mother..a mother who died too soon and a father whose relationship had gone es tray....so they carried me through that day more than they will ever know....The story started long before on October 10th, 1986 when Brian and I met on that crazy night at the local town bar. My aunt Margie who is only 9 years my senior...was like a best friend to me and we spent endless nights out on the town dancing the night away...on this particular night I found myself eyeing Brian.....so...my aunt decided to get Brian and I together...she walked straight across that dance floor and pinched Brian's ass to get his attention......and then proceeded to hand him my phone number...ah yes...that looking across the room from the distance as we caught our eyes had happened...and .it was love at first site....he called me that NIGHT......oh that was so long ago and I was only 17.....LOL..( thank you margie!).......anyways getting back to the wedding day....... ....His parents wanted a big traditional wedding at the local Austrian club in Toronto and I would have no part of that. Instead I followed the steps of my mother's sister and had a quaint outdoor wedding at Graystone manor. Graystone was home to me after moving from Winnipeg and Uncle Ed was generous enough to allow me to host my wedding on his large property. We were married in the local Catholic church on Niagara on the lake and were whisked away in a horse and carriage after the ceremony ...on display for the town to see us newly married. I felt like princess Diana waving to the spectators as we strolled down the main strip of Niagara stopping traffic ...allowing us to be the centre of attention. We headed back to Graystone for the reception with a 150 of our close relatives and friends waiting for us. Brian had hired a flute and cello player to serenade the guests and the bartenders were on hand ready for a big party. It was a lovely evening with lively speeches and endless dancing.......Brian and I headed to the hotel by 3 in the morning. I still remember him saying to me.....tonight is not our wedding night okay honey...I am too tired....our wedding night will start in Cancun Mexico tomorrow.....LOL.......ahh the beginning of married life.....and after 3 kids.....do things really change???..... so please think of me and Brian today as we celebrate 15 years of marriage.
No comments:
Post a Comment