

We live close to a pumpkin farm that offers free hayrides, a challenging corn maze and a small petting zoo area. Now that Justin is in high school these outings with him are less impressive and I find myself now doing field trips with only Jamie and Katie. The other day before picking up Justin from school, we decided to drop by the farm. My kids have been to the farm many times before and always in sequence start with the hay area...jumping from bale to bale chasing each other and playing tag....before running to the pens to feed the pigs and goats....once they have spent a significant amount of time watching the pigs fight over a piece of corn... they head to the maze......getting lost and me frantically trying to find them....once found...we go pick out our pumpkins and are ready to head home.....seat belts done up and ready to pick up Justin...I turned around and asked Jamie if he had fun.....and suddenly I felt a pit in my stomach.......all I could hear was Jamie saying...."Mom...the farm now seems so small and the maze is way too EASY....it just seems different mom".............oh gosh no..no..no ..Jamie....Jamie...its because you are getting bigger so the farm seems smaller...oh......gulp......he is just shy of 9 but I hate to admit it...he is no longer my little Jamie..........the kids are growing up too fast.......driving to Justin's school....I found myself looking in the rear view mirror at Jamie....hoping that maybe I could freeze time.....around the corner...I see Justin standing at the front doors of the school....talking to some other kid who is at least 5 feet 10...both in their suits looking older than grade 9......yo...see ya bud..later.......throwing his backpack into my trunk.....he hops into the front seat.........hey mom "what's up?"....oh nothing.....holding back my tears..........knowing that soon enough it will be Jamie that will be waiting for me to pick him up ...Justin will be in university and my little Katie will be smacking her gum in the backseat while talking on her cellphone.....................................................just LIFE kid.....that's all.....just life!....
No comments:
Post a Comment