Sunday, October 26, 2008

kids social life...




Friday night my two youngest were invited to a Halloween dance at the school. I stood on the sidelines as a parent chaperon. The school gymnasium was transformed into a scary disco decorated with Halloween witches and pumpkins. Kids dressed as ghosts and skeletons rocked to Monster Mash and the electric slide. Jamie was hanging out with an astronaut and a zombie. Katie was glued to my hip.. monster watching. Prizes were being handed out all night for the best dance moves and Jamie was working the dance floor. A flood of parent chaperons got their groove on when Grease lighting was played....I found myself finger pointing and arm pumping like "Danny" yelling out the words...Katie joined in and Jamie looked on slightly embarassed....kids....After a few hours of dancing, treats and endless sodas we left feeling monster-fied. When we got home daddy was fast asleep on the couch and my moody teenager was sulking and complaining that his little brother and baby sister had more of a social life than him...laughing ..I knew he had a point.... but then suddenly realized that I too don't have much of one either... unless you count the kids parties that I chaperon......oh to be a kid again ..roller skating to YMCA and Funky Town.........if only I could have a week back of grade 6!....those were the DAYS!

No comments: