Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Careen on the brain..


This past week....I have had Careen....(a longtime grade school friend)....on the brain ...........you see I found her on facebook this year after losing contact with her 15 years ago.....after chatting back and forth....
I learned that she was getting married in June.....in an instant...I knew I had to fly out to Winnipeg and surprise her on such a special day....she stood by me as a bridesmaid on my day and I was determined to be there for her......arriving in Winnipeg...I had planned to see her before she walked down the aisle hoping not to distract her from her big day... but things don't always work out as expected and at that moment instead of looking down the aisle to see her groom....she saw me.......she looked exactly the same....vibrant and beautiful...not a day older than I remembered her.......the urge to run up and hug her was resisted knowing at that very moment it would have been inappropiate... .imagine her groom wondering who the crazy lady was attacking his soon to be wife....lol.....hey it could have been worse...I could have been a long lost boyfriend.......so I watched the service through my teary eyes anxiously awaiting for the kiss so I could grab her for myself...reuniting with my long lost friend.....we spent our precious hours together chatting and laughing before I had to fly out the next day....catching up on the past but realizing that we were still the same .......we both were older and coincidentally each had three kids but our time lost was forgotten as we talked on her couch sometimes not really saying anything at all.......we met in grade school...she lived in the same housing complex as me...together we tackled the big bad world while our single mother's tried to cut out a life for us girl's.......we understood each other and our sisterhood.......so when she facebooked me the other day letting me know that a thank you card was in the mail....I headed out to the superbox down the street....I was running late for Katie's gymnastics but having Careen on the brain...checked the mail....out of the corner of my eye...I noticed a landscaper riding his lawn mower tackling a steep hill...heading back to the truck I checked the rearview mirror to turn around when I saw the kid ( only he was like 23...but that's a kid to me) lying on the ground with the heavy machine on top of him...I high tailed it out of the truck...realizing that this kid was bleeding and his arm was stuck under the machine...greatly aware of the gas and oil spilling out of the tractor...I helped him get his arm out....I knew at that point he needed medical attention and wondering if Careen was with me in that moment being a nurse and my intention was to get her card....so I told him to tie his shirt around his head before finding his supervisor who was working down the street....now if you know me I don't do well with blood...but fainting was not an option at this point.......thankfully I found the supervisor and he took over....later in the day I passed by the superbox seeing the tractor still turned over and reminding myself what happened that day...that kid was lucky and wondering if it was fate that I was there at that exact moment.....the next day...I checked the super box again since I still hadn't received the card...and the kid was back ..this time with a new machine and a helmet...he thanked me for my help and all I could do was smile knowing that Careen was there with me......my timing was spot on ...now if the mailman could deliver my card....this story could truly have a happy ending.........

1 comment:

Veronica said...

Wow, what a day. I think you did a wonderful job and am proud of you. I am sure the boy is thankful you were there as well.

Careen seams like a very special and dear friend to you. It's great seeing a picture of the two of you together at her wedding.