Wednesday, April 29, 2009

our little girl turns 6 today...


Its funny....6 years ago today I had no clue what child I was going to meet when I went into labour for the 3rd time. During my pregnancy I kept hoping I was having another boy since I already knew how to manage boys....besides what did I know about girls....I was a tomboy as a child beating up all those girly girls who played with dolls and wore pony tails. The last thing I wanted was a girl in my life who would be sensitive and squeamish. I liked being the only girl in the house and I certainly didn't want a little girl to mess things up with her pink purses, barbies and lip gloss...but all that changed when Katie was placed on my tummy...screaming loudly to be heard and scrunching up her bright red face in anger announcing to the world that she had arrived and was not a girl to be messed with. She had a fire in her belly that made me proud and I knew she would be a lot like me. Living up to that reputation over the past 6 years her independence has served her well. She can handle her brothers with ease...parenting them when they need it, she can pack a punch with the best of them and do it when no one is looking while at the same time showing her maternal side grabbing a Kleenex or band aid when some one needs it...yes..she turned out to be exactly the girl we needed in this family and even though she does have a room full of pink stuff we are thankful for her life. Happy 6th birthday Kaitlyn!

No comments: