
The kids finally convinced me that we should get a dog. I agreed only because I am NOW ready...lets face it ...the majority of the responsibility will fall on me......the kids although old enough to be pet owners will have to be pushed to poop and scoop but I am sure the feeding, playing and exercise will need less nagging. I started researching breeds last fall before deciding that a backcross labradoodle would be perfect for our family since they are non aggressive,easily trainable, love kids and are non shedding and hypo-allergic.The next task was finding a responsible breeder since this breed is quite popular and a money maker for those without good intentions. Contacting several breeders I felt most comfortable with Tammy at Doodleacres. Her dams and sires live on her property, she only breeds a few litters a year, the pups sleep inside a heated garage, have the run of the house and fenced in backyard during the day but most importantly she loves animals which is why she moved to a 15 acre hobby farm so she could raise chickens, horses and dogs. She spent an hour on the phone with me screening our family to decide if WE were puppy ready before inviting us up to her farm the following weekend. A 2 hour drive lead us to Kaycee. We were greeted by a dozen happy dogs...labs, poodles, labradoodles....before Kaycee was placed in my arms and at that moment I knew she would come home with us in 4 weeks. She was so small and adorable still crying for her mom and littermates who were in the nursery. We spent 2 hours playing, petting and learning about Doodleacres and glad that we chose this breeder since it was evident how much time, love and effort she has spent will all of her dogs. When we left Tammy gave the kids and I some homework. We had to watch a video she recommended on how to be a good pack leader as well as read some books about puppies. Tammy follows the dog whisperers motto....that a dog should be raised in this order.....exercise, discipline and then love. Driving home we headed to the pet store for our research and then spent the rest of the afternoon watching videos about pups. Later that night Justin and I curled up together and read " puppies for dummies".. it was like studying a crash course on dogs learning about grooming, discipline,tricks and crate training..kind of like preparing for a child and thinking about all the books I read before Justin was born..........so our due date is in 10 days...and we are anxiously anticipating our new addition....the crate is set up and ready, her bowls waiting to be filled with food and water, blanket and toys are bought...just need to have Kaycee...here's looking forward to 15 years of enjoyment and hoping that my kids were glad that as a family we decided to get a pup!
3 comments:
Can't wait to see your pictures on her arrival. Enjoy her!
hi there my darling trynto...lol yes its me janetc. It is so nice to put a name to the face and pretty one at that, you also have one beautiful family. I enjoyed reading your blog. I too started mine last summer, i do more now but that will likely change come this summer, although i have become hooked and the girls are so nice and the ideas and inspiration are amazing. I havent really being too much in the house lately due to hubby not feeling well, however we are trying to remedy the kitchen disaster that began with the builders kitchen designer, he certainly lacked in experience. We did the drop down cupboard but should have used your idea and went with standard height and used butcher block, that was our mistake. Oh well we will hopefully get it figured out, the additional cabinets will be in hopefully next week. I will add you to my bloglist and glad to see you.
hugs
janet
thanks for stopping by, i do like to tweak, but this sort of thing is more stress, we had a horrible kitchen designer (the one the builder offers) and if he was more experienced we wouldnt be in this situation. uggg!
hugs
janet
Post a Comment