Wednesday, February 10, 2010
recommendation for dog owners...
My puppy Kaycee is now 11 months old and it was only yesterday that I finally had a great walk with her....you see we did the puppy classes.. training her to sit, stay, and come...she can do a few tricks if a treat is involved...but she just wouldn't stop pulling when walking her....trying to get her to heel required me to pull on her leash about 50% of the walk.....I went to her doggie daycare yesterday completely frazzled with Kaycee that she was just not getting the "heel" command.....I was willing to fork out some more cash for some more obedience classes when the instructor at the daycare told me for $16 bucks he could get Kaycee to heel...skeptical on my part...he took off Kaycee's collar and put on a "gentle leader".....its a type of leash that wraps around the leather of the dogs snout.. just as a bridle is used on horses....it is unnatural for the dog to be pulled by the nose and therefore when walking with the leader they DO NOT PULL.....and just like that.....it worked....we had an extra long walk today and I no longer felt guilty pulling at Kaycee's neck......apparently a dog her size is still fairly strong and can easily pull a small child in a wagon ..so pulling at her neck while walking will not change her behavior .....who-da-thought.....so I am recommending this contraption to anyone who finds that walking your dog is more like a tug -a-war....just wish I had used it sooner.....live and learn........
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment